Ways to Support Your Cooperatively-owned Bookstore
Indie bookstores like Buffalo Street Books do important work in our communities, but unfair competition from the Amazon monopoly and razor thin margins make it nearly impossible to earn a profit while paying our employees fairly. From the beginning of our cooperative bookstore, we’ve known we need extra support from our community to curate the store, put on events, and bring alive the literary arts. Please make a gift today to support our operations and our continuing commitment to pay our employees the Tompkins County living wage.
Become an Owner
Buffalo Street Books is a cooperative, which means our mission is about offering books and literary events to inspire and empower our community, rather than making a profit. It also means that you can own a part of this bookstore! Ownership gives you a voice in how the bookstore is run, and the purchase price of an owner share becomes capital for running the store.
Click here to visit our Owner page & explore ways to become an owner.
Support our Work in the Community
In our community Buffalo Street Books:
- Carefully curates books that reflect our community’s interests and composition
- Offers a safe and welcoming space for a diverse spectrum of our community to congregate and learn
- Brings authors, illustrators, and other literary folks into the community to share their work
- Collaborates with local schools and nonprofit organizations to provide free and/or discounted books to traditionally underreached parts of our community
- And more...
You can support our efforts in the community by making a donation to our Community Books Fund. Your donation will go towards providing books and literary experiences to children and underserved parts of the community.
You can also support us by contributing to our Ownership Fund. Your donation will help others in the community become owners of the bookstore.
Other Ways to Participate in the Bookstore
- Subscribe to our BSB First monthly book club - purchase 3, 6, or 12 month subscriptions for yourself or others. Click here for more info.
- Donate recently published used books in excellent condition for our used book shelf. Contact email@example.com
- Volunteer in the store or run for our Executive Board. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lead a workshop/book club/class on something you’re good at - workshops and classes support our bottom line, and you can get paid too. Contact email@example.com.
- Ask us! We have a wishlist of things the store could use, so you never know
- Buy a gift card for someone you love